Pages

01 December 2010

The First Day of Summer

It's officially the first day of summer today, and Monster Noggin's birthday - happy birthday Monster Noggin - and it's also bloody raining.  Ain't that just typical.  Bah!  We're apparently being harassed by some kind of rogue trough and the entire Eastern side of Australia is being rained on.  Let's hope this isn't a sign of the summer to come!  But it's still strangely warm, even if it is wet and my windows keep steaming up and my hair keeps going frizzy.  So with summer here it also means that Christmas is approaching.  The shops are decked out in their finest decorations, Christmas songs are playing from every speaker, we've had the Christmas party and Santa has already made more than one appearance in preparation for the big day.  And honestly?  It just feels totally weird.  As a pom I do not associate summer with Christmas so with the weather hotting up I'm all in a flap.  I used to be the Christmas queen back in England, putting the tree up exactly 12 days before Christmas, opening my advent calendar, making minced pies.  Here I just don't feel the need because Christmas no longer feels the same.  I don't even have a tree.  I'm not sure if that's sad or just an inevitable part of moving half way around the world.  Perhaps I'll have to come up with some new Christmas traditions that fit with my new home.  Seasonal hamburgers perhaps.  A Christmas cozzie?  I suppose that's one thing about all this rain - it reminds me of England!

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for birthday mention little stalks - it certainly does feel like a good old english birthday with the rain, it will feel like xmas soon lets lock ourselves in with the aircon turned up (or is it down)(cold)and put on bad jumpers and eat naughty food!!! x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Magnon made our mincemeat yesterday. So we'll be eating mince pies in about 3 weeks, and then it really will be Christmas.

    You'll just have to throw some more of those festive Roo steaks on the yule log barbie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...