Pages

01 February 2011

The Sticky Fly

It is seriously hot here at the moment.  So hot that I did my housework last night because I knew it would be too hot to do today.  The weather is beautiful and makes for much going to the beach and lounging on the balcony.  But this hot weather also seems to have brought out the sticky flies.  What a pain in the bum they are.  They're like normal flies - they look just like a bluebottle (the fly, not the crazy sea dwelling, stingy things) - but they move more slowly and just seem to stick to everything they touch.  Including people.  They're constantly in the office, buzzing around people's faces and dive bombing your head.  They lurk around your computer screen, lazily flit in front of your eyes, crash into your cheek, land on your head.  It's very annoying.  Especially when you're trying to serve a customer.  You're both talking to each other whilst waving arms and giving flicks of the hand as you try to get the damned fly away from you.  And they might be slow movers but if you try and get one with a rolled up magazine or something, you just can't get them.  They're crafty.  And they know when you go for the fly spray.  We have a rather large can stowed under the desks, but whenever I go to get it, pushed to the edge by sticky flies, they suddenly disappear.  Vanished.  I suppose that's as good as anything.  You want to flies to disappear.  But when you reach the stage of getting the fly spray you kind of want vengeance.  So you spray it anyway, convinced that the spray will deter any further attacks, when all you accomplish is fly spray in the air and much coughing from you and your colleagues.  The damn sticky flies have won again.  And they're not just at work.  They're in the house too.  Bopping around my coffee table.  Walking on my nice clean surfaces.  Damn them!  And I don't have fly spray in the house - though I may well buy some today - so I tried having a go with some polish instead.  This achieved nothing more than me having to get a duster and dusting the coffee table at 07.30!  Damn flies are making me clean before I've had my breakfast.  What kind of world is this, where flies have that kind of power!  Ok, maybe just power over me, but I've had enough.  We can now add the sticky fly to the list.  Another nemesis. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried the traditional hat with corks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electronic fly bat. Zap, zap, zap. Or get a pet frog to sit on your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...