Pages

16 November 2010

The First Dip of the Season

I took my first official "dip" of the season on Sunday and braved the sea.  It was a glorious day on Sunday with the sun beating down and clear blue skies.  But my God the ocean was bloody freezing!  We're still getting currents coming up from the South when really what we want is currents from the North and for that reason the temperature is only about 19 degrees.  Truly a shock to the system.  We sat on the sand for a matter of minutes before we decided it was time to cool down, but as soon as my toes hit the water I knew it was going to be an icy experience.  But I was determined to get that first swim under my belt and welcome the warmer weather by immersing myself in the sea.  I must confess that I squealed like a girl when that first wave hit my legs, forcing me up to my waist in chilly water.  I know it's best to just get straight in there but I just don't have the courage to take the plunge.  So instead, I hopped about in the surf, willing my body to adjust to the temperature.  But it never did.  It just went kind of numb and I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.  Still, I stayed out in the water long after Mystical Roo and Monster Noggin had returned to the sand as I was determined to actually get my head under the water.  So there was much wave jumping before one actually knocked me off my feet.  After that I went for a bit of bobbing on my back before attempting a bit of random swimming in waist deep water.  This is a strange thing to do when there are small children stood next to you casting questioning gazes as if to ask, why is that fully grown woman doing doggy paddle when she could just stand up.  It's a good question kids but Little Stalky isn't the most logical of beings.  I don't like going out too far as the currents are strong and I could feel the water pulling towards the rocks.  There's no way I'm going past waist deep.  No way.  After bobbing and doggy paddling for a while, with pretty much no feeling in my legs, I finally worked up the courage to dunk my head.  Actually, with a wave approaching I decided to dive through it.  It was like being slapped in the face with a big wet and icy cold hand.  Strangely refreshing though and when I resurfaced I felt rather alert.  I suppose cold water will do that for you.  Having completed my mission I then relented and returned to the warmth of the sand.  It took a little while for the feeling to return to my legs and they were tingly for a while.  It was nice to have my first dip of the season but I think it might be a few more weeks before I can fully appreciate the ocean.  So we didn't go back in that day.  Instead I spent a while burying Mystical Roo's hands in the sand before creating sand shaped claws and talons.  Then lunch started calling and we retired to the balcony for drinks and nibbles.  There we could appreciate the ocean and all it's beauty without actually having to get wet. 

3 comments:

  1. What a brave Little Stalky you are. I'm not to sure about 19c I like it a bit warmer than that. I like the thought of drinks and nibbles though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swimming should be illegal at under 22 degrees C. Unless you're Swedish like Lady Magnon; the Swedes have an in-built masochistic gene.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...