Pages

14 November 2010

The Rogue Sweet

I like to consider myself something of a sweet connoisseur.  I can tell you the best colour fruit gums to eat, advise which items to avoid if you have false teeth and can sniff out - and turf out - aniseed monstrosities.  So when eating a bag of Haribo Starmix I know what to expect.  I've been eating Starmix for a long time.  You've got your standard cola bottles, fried eggs, gummi bears and those little heart things with the white foam back.  Do you know what you don't get in Starmix?  You don't get milk bottles.  No you don't.  Milk bottles are in the Super Kiddie Mix.  Not the Starmix.  I know this because I'm not a fan of milk bottles and tend to leave them for Mystical Roo.  In fact Mystical Roo had just finished a stash that I'd put in the fridge for him.  Oh, Mystical Roo, I know how much you love milk bottles so I saved them for you.  He knows the truth.  When it comes to sweets I'm just not that generous.  And some would argue the same is true of me when it comes to cupcakes.  But the cupcake incident has yet to be agreed upon.  Anyway, milk bottles.  They do not appear in Starmix.  So whilst munching on Starmix and seeing a milk bottle I was surprised and perturbed.  How did that damned sneaky milk bottle get in there.  That could have been a lovely cola bottle but no, it's a sneaky milk bottle.  Then, on closer inspection I realised that the milk bottle was not a milk bottle.  Not in the traditional sense anyway.  It was larger than normal and yellowish in colour.  I examined the rogue sweet and determined that it also had lines where a standard milk bottle is smooth.  Highly suspicious.  What next?  I sniffed it.  Yes, I got a good whiff of that rogue sweet and decided it had a slight air of banana about it.  Banana?  In Haribo?  Why I was intrigued.  It seemed this strange banana smelling, milk bottle impersonating sweet had somehow managed to infiltrate a bag of Starmix.  There were no other sweets like it.  Just the one.  How very odd.  I wondered whether it had tumbled in there by mistake or whether it was planted.  Could the rogue sweet belong to a rival company and the sweet was acting as a spy?  Was the rogue sweet a test product that escaped the lab?  Is there some sort of competition on where if you find a banana smelling, milk bottle shaped sweet that you win a prize?  Some bananas perhaps.  Or some milk.  Or banana flavoured milk.  Or a car.  But I guess I'll never know.  Because I ate it.  Yes, I ate the sweet.  And it did taste something like banana.  A milky banana.  And I didn't like it.  But I ate it anyway.  As a sweet connoisseur you must test new flavours.  And that was a flavour I didn't like.  So I'll now have to wait and see if this sweet has any adverse effects.  I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. Nothing beats Maynards wine gums... Other, maybe, than those packs of flat red strips of sour fizzy lovliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the above. Oh wine gums, how I miss you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...