Pages

05 November 2010

Gunpowder, Treason and Plot!

Remember, remember, the 5th of November. Gunpowder, treason and plot!  Ah the 5th of November.  Guy Fawkes night.  Bonfire night.  Fireworks night.  It's not celebrated anymore here in Australia so it will pretty much pass us by  but it's always celebrated in England.  I remember when we were kids we used to have to make "the guy" at school who would then be burnt atop the bonfire in the village.  We had an old lock up and would take him down at lunchtime before returning that night to pull him out and march him to the fire.  We had burning torches and everything!  No wonder people think village folk are a bit weird.  And just to clarify, anyone who doesn't know what this is all about, "the guy" is just a stuffed model used to depict the traitor, Guy Fawkes.  We don't actually burn real people atop bonfires.  Not normally anyway.  I remember talking to an American online once who thought I was making the whole thing up.  You build a big bonfire and burn a guy named Guy Fawkes every year on the 5th of November?  Yes, it's true!  He tried to blow up Parliament.  Right.  I'm not sure if I ever did get my point across.  I used to love it when I was younger; watching the bonfire lit and waiting for the fireworks display, which was always good until the end where the old "fountain" never quite worked.  Every year we'd wait with anticipation to see if this year it would catch but it never did.  It was always dark and freezing cold but still we went.  So this year I will not be celebrating as I have nowhere to light a fire, no fireworks and think that all of the above would be frowned upon.  I wish a happy Guy Fawkes night to those who will be celebrating in England or anywhere else in the world. 

2 comments:

  1. Probably the best night of the year, bar Xmas Eve. Ahh, the memories. Putting bangers and jumping jacks behind people to scare the living daylights out of them. 20-30 people in our yard from surrounding houses. The weeks leading up to it colecting stuff for the fire. And the rockets, you have to love rockets. Pity it is being mauled by the politically correct brigade and elf n safety. Sanitised public displays of only the pretty fireworks doesn't cut it somehow. Great nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I celebrate every year here in France, but my fire and Guy stands just 6 inches high (indoor bonfire). Better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...