Pages

29 November 2010

Little Stalky Lacks Common Sense

Sometimes, Little Stalkys just aren't that bright.  It's not that I'm stupid, it's simply that I'm often lacking in the common sense department.  An example of this was at dinner time the other day.  I'd made Mystical Roo one of my signature dishes - coronation chicken and had plans of whipping up a salad and grabbing some chips from the chip shop for a quick and easy Thursday night dinner.  Excellent.  So, wine in the fridge, glasses in the fridge for an extra chill factor and the weather is still lovely so we can have dinner on the balcony.  Mystical Roo returns home from work and with dirty Hobbit feet (that's another story) was directed straight towards the shower.  In the meantime I headed over to the chippy for a large portion of chips with extra chicken salt.  Yummy.  Now my plan all along was to get those chips into the oven to keep them warm until a) I had served up dinner b) Mystical Roo was adequately cleaned and dried and c)  the wine was poured.  The oven is on, the chips are in the oven and I'm spooning the coronation chicken onto the plates when I smell something decisively funky.  Mystical Roo, did you have a shower?  Is it you that pongs?  It wasn't a Mystical Roo kind of pong.  More of a burnt plastic kind of smell.  Not good.  It took me a moment but I identified the smell as coming from the oven.  Chippies?  What's going on in there.  I quickly whipped open the oven door and was met by a little waft of smoke.  I peered in and confirmed the chippies were fine.  But the polystyrene box they were housed in was not.  It was, in fact, melting and dropping chippies all over the joint.  Oh poo.  This was a moment to summon Mystical Roo.  He of the common sense variety.  Stalky did you put polystyrene in the oven?  Maybe I did.  Maybe I didn't.  No one can prove a thing!  Mystical Roo valiantly rescued the chippies and we only lost a few to the bowels of the oven.  Luckily the polystyrene hadn't inflicted any damage.  How was I supposed to know that you can't put polystyrene in the oven!  Mystical Roo was quick to point out that you don't put plastic in an oven.  I wasn't even sure that polystyrene was plastic anyway.  At least it wasn't as bad as the time I put butter in the microwave.  I didn't take off the tin foil and the thing burst into flames.  There was no fire this time.  Just melted plastic.

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...