Pages

08 November 2010

Little Stalky and Mystical Roo go to the Market

On a lovely sunny Sunday, Mystical Roo and I decided to hit a nearby market to see what bargains we might be able to find.  I was specifically on the hunt for a desk, possibly even a chair to accompany said desk and Mystical Roo was assisting me with the hunt.  Unfortunately I think we got there a bit late as we found neither a desk, nor a chair, nor anything that looked remotely like any of the above.  The early bird gets the worm you see and with the markets opening at maybe 7am and us arriving at maybe 11am you can see how we might have missed out on the best things.  And we're normally early risers but a party at Monster Noggin's the night before, which included home made vodka, was not conducive to an early start.  But it was nice to have a wander round and see what was on offer.  As is the case, I imagine with markets all around the world, there's a lot of a junk to be had.  Objects so worn and unloved you can't imagine anyone else bothering to buy them.  Things that can only be identified as just that.  Things.  Things that are totally unidentifiable.  If they were flying things they'd be UFTs.  But there was nothing flying about.  Just sat on various tables or arranged on the floor.  So we pretty much ignored the car boot side of things.  I was drawn to the various herbs and plants that were on offer and stood debating whether I could grow herbs on my balcony.  I decided that after battling black spot and green fly on my roses and having a mint plant try to take over the world I should possibly do some research before purchasing anything.  Find out what survives well on a balcony in the Australian climate.  I'm hoping a for a lemon tree or a passion fruit tree.  But research first.  Buy later.  And avoid another tyrannical mint plant.  As well as the car booters, plant stands and various fruit and veg stalls there were also people selling ridiculously cheap Listerine mouthwash and washing powder.  I must say I eyed up that Listerine mouthwash, marvelling at the greatly reduced price before wondering how it could possibly be that cheap.  I had to wonder how it had got there in the first place and what tests it had possibly failed.  So I stepped away from the mouthwash and moved on.  It was an interesting little market that we'll have to try again when we're feeling a little more perky.  Maybe we'll get in early next time and who know what bargains we might find.  Little Stalky may yet get the desk!  

3 comments:

  1. Boot sale mouthwash? No thanks. Maybe it was secondhand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eugh! Stepping away from the mouthwash....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fun looking for that hidden treasure amongst all the dross. Got to be a bargain there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...