Pages

06 February 2011

Flying Fish

Last night we went around to Monster Noggin's for a spot of Chinese takeaway and some wine.  After a bit of a feast it was still thirty something degrees at 21.00!  Hottest day ever.  Hottest night ever.  Now I like the heat but when you're trying to eat and can't cool down it gets exhausting.  There wasn't even a breeze.  After our food had settled, four of us decided to have a little walk on the beach, dip our tootsies in the water and basically try and cool down.  So Monster Noggin, Ammy, Mystical Roo and I hopped across the road and wandered down to the beach, which looks very surreal in the dark.  You can see the sand and in the distance the white of the waves but everything just seems to blur together and makes the beach really, really vast.  On Monster Noggin's beach (yes she owns it) there's a lagoon type thing, a river that meets the ocean, a massive puddle!  Normally one can cross the massive puddle to reach the sea but that night the massive puddle was more massive than normal and there was no way we were getting across.  In the light of day we probably would have waded across but not at night and certainly not when we were fully clothed.  With the moon reflecting in the dark water it looked eerie and sinister.  It was still and barely a ripple was lapping up against the sand.  It made me wonder what might lurk beneath.  As Monster Noggin noted, if we'd been up further North there's no way any of us would have been stood so close.  So we weren't able to dip our feet in the sea but the cool sand and sea air had done a good job of offering some relief from the heat.  Then we heard it.  A splashing coming from the lagoon.  We all looked out across the dark water to try and work out what it was.  Silence again but there were now definite ripples on what had previously been perfectly still water.  Mysterious.  Then it sounded again.  Splash, splash.  Something big?  Something in the water?  Something coming to get us?  Couldn't be a croc.  They don't live in our neck of the woods.  Could have been a shark though.   A shark?  In the lagoon?  Why that's just crazy talk.  I suggested a turtle.  Not a turtle.  The dark lagoon suddenly looked a whole lot creepier to me.  Then it splashed again and we saw something silvery shooting across the surface before disappearing beneath the depths.  A flying fish!  I can't remember who came to this conclusion but there was an immediate consensus.  Flying fish!  I was horrified.  We all know how I feel about fish.  I wasn't happy.  I noted that if fish could swim what were they doing flying as well.  Then I figured if they could swim and fly, what was to stop them walking up onto the sand and going for my ankles!  Shocking.  After his initial stealthy maneuvers, the flying fish quickly became a show off and started "flying" all over the place.  Yes, we might have been impressed at first (well not me) but honestly, there's no need to show off.  With our feet cool we decided to head back to the house so we left that random flying fish to his business.  I must confess I had to chance a look over my shoulder.  I didn't trust turning my back on it.  I had images of it following us back.  But all seemed to be quiet.  So we returned to the house for another glass of wine (that might have just been me) and the flying fish continued to splash about in the lagoon.  

1 comment:

  1. They just want to be your friend. If you wouldn't go in the water to play, they were going to come out and find you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...