Pages

22 March 2011

The Flood


Floods at the Holiday Park

Well, after the declogging of the drain yesterday I then went to work and had the most surreal day ever.  We had six weeks worth of rain in one day and as a result there was horrendous flooding throughout the area.  One of the scariest things was how quickly the water came up.  One minute we were commenting on how heavy it was raining, the next the sinks exploding with water, tents are being washed away and caravans are coming hurtling up the road to escape the torrents.  It was shocking and very unnerving.  I've never seen anything like it.  It came up so fast that we didn't have time to get cars out, we didn't have time to warn anyone.  It just happened.  Then there were caravans rolling backwards down the hill and just chaos.  I managed to get through to Mystical Roo who had been trapped at the warehouse with Ammy and Treacle.  The water was too deep to get the cars in and the three of them had to wade out to safety.  Mystical Roo lost his flip flops!  They all got to safety but couldn't get home for several hours as the roads were flooded and blocked.  I got home just after lunch but many of the roads back from work were flooded.  I ran back to the flat to check the balcony; images of water rushing through into the lounge nagging at my brain.  Luckily the water hadn't come through but was mere millimeters away.  I cleared the drain and was told by work to stay home.  I went and sat with Grandma until the others returned.  It was a relief to know they were all safe but all we wanted was for them to walk through the door.  The thing is, this flood was nothing compared to what happened in Queensland.  It's hard to imagine the horror they experienced.  The flood water has now receded but I think we were all left a little shaken.  That's the first time I've experienced anything like it and there's danger everywhere.  I'm just thankful that we're all safe and relatively little damage has been done.   

2 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment in Oz! Relieved to hear that you are safe. All this worry could drive me to drink! Better get on and build that ark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit. I'm sure I can remember some Australian bloke in a pub', telling me that everything was perfect back home. Hope MR finds his flop flips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...