Pages

25 March 2011

Home Drying the Chillies: Where Did I go Wrong?!

I made another batch of chilli the other day and decided I might try using some of my dried chillies.  It did not go to plan.  The chillies seemed to be drying quite nicely so I selected some of the older ones and put them on the chopping board.  My plan was to use my trusty chopper and mush them up into flakes.  The trouble was, when I chopped into the first one it looked a bit furry inside.  I wasn't sure if that was normal or not.  I had - and continue to have - no idea what I was looking for.  The second one was actually a bit black at the top.  It might just be me but black and furry don't sound that appetising.  I wanted to use my chillies but I didn't want to ruin the chilli.  We were hungry and I was damned if I was starting it all from scratch.  So I went for the chilli flakes from Woolworths and whilst the chilli was cooking I decided to experiment with my chillies.  Following this?  Lots of chilli action going on.  I chopped up my chillies as I'd originally intended and was pleased to see that it looked practically identical to the chilli flakes that i had just used in the chilli.  Pleased, but not convinced that they were good.  I tried to get Mystical Roo to do a taste test but he declined.  So I taste tested them myself.  This was a couple of days ago now and I'm still here so at least I know they haven't poisoned me.  The only trouble was, they didn't appear to taste of anything.  There was no spice.  No nothing.  I was very disappointed and had to wonder what I'd done wrong.  I try not to get too down about these experiences as it's a learning curve for me.  I've only just started gardening.  I've only just started drying things.  But it seemed to me that if they've lost their flavour, then they're a bit pointless.  Although they do look pretty funky hanging from the wall.  Now I'd like to ask my fellow gardeners, my fellow foodies, my fellow spice lovers:  where did I go wrong?  Did I not leave them long enough?  Did I leave them too long?  This is a Little Stalky SOS.  I have a new crop of chillies growing as we speak and I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake twice.  Help!

4 comments:

  1. Chilli growing is a minefield; some are so hot they're inedible, other have no heat at all. You didn't go wrong! You bought the wrong seeds/plants. As for the furry insides; maybe it's a bit humid where you live. As for the black bits, that's normal; just break those bits off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some humidity has got to them if they've gone furry. I usually put mine out in direct sunshine for 2-3 days before hanging them. Mind you, some 'fresh' ones that I brought back to the UK and put in the fridge in a paper bag have dried out wonderfully. Were the fresh ones you used spicy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just used the last ones from the fridge! Chilli was just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we bought the chillies the little tag gave them a 9 out of 10 heat rating. But then, I suppose they could have been given the wrong tag. The fresh ones had a small amount of heat but a nice flavour. They didn't seem that hot though. Perhaps I should have dried them in the sun a bit first. We have had a lot of humidity here. I suppose it's a learning experience. I'll let you know how my next batch come on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...