Pages

24 March 2011

Poking Holes in Buckets

When the sun finally decided to make an appearance, I in turn decided to do some repotting out on the balcony.  I could see the mint trying to escape his tiny pot and the strawberry feeler had put out not one, but two new plants and had roots that needed a home.  Alas the lemon tree has yet to be rehomed.  I attempted it once, twice and then decided it was a fool's mission. Not something a Little Stalky could do on her own without the assistance of Mystical Roo.  The lemon tree is quite heavy now and I didn't want to risk hurting him or me or anything else in the vicinity.  So, I found two little pots for my strawberry feeler to get comfy in.  He seemed happy enough.  I moved the mint into a temporary pot; big enough to give him some space but temporary because he's going to be snaffling the lemon tree's pot.  Once the lemon tree has been moved into it's new home.  It's a complicated life out on the balcony.  Running out of plant pots - as you do - Mystical Roo had brought me home some buckets form work.  Buckets?  Yes, buckets.  He has a lot of buckets.  So I had two 10l buckets in which to plant the oregano and the basil.  Excellent, except for the fact that neither bucket had any drainage holes.  So I figured I'd make some drainage holes.  How hard could it be?  Normally this is the kind of thing I would delegate to Mystical Roo.  Him being bigger, stronger and generally better at stuff than me.  But in Mystical Roo's absence I had to figure it out for myself.  So, screwdriver.  That ought to do the trick.  Poke a few holes.  Voila.  Not as easy as it might sound.  Plastic can be a tricky beast.  My first attempt at making a drainage hole was to stab at the bottom of the bucket with all my might.  Sort of effective except for the fact that I kept hitting different parts of the bucket with each downward jab.  Not easy to hit the same spot twice.  Not easy at all.  I figured I needed a hammer or a mallet or something.  Hold the screwdriver in place and then bash my way to a drainage hole.  But we don't have a hammer and we don't have a mallet.  So I needed something heavy.  Something I could use to bash with.  My eyes came to rest on the candle that was for some reason living outside.  The candle was in a kind of pot.  A heavy kind of pot.  So, I removed the candle, poured away the water that had collected underneath the candle and then set about bashing the screwdriver into the bucket.  Again, not the best idea.  The pot wasn't heavy nor sturdy enough to do the job.  Basically it didn't cut it.  I then went back to jabbing the bucket, with much the same results as before.  Then - and I don't know how I came to this - I decided to just hold the screwdriver in place and lean all of my weight onto it.  Success!  That's the way to do it.  It look a lot of effort but I managed to create four neat little drainage holes.  The basil and oregano were then planted in their respective buckets.  You can see from the attached photo that the balcony is now looking rather busy.  I've got green pots, black pots, red pots, white pots and now white buckets.  It's a hive of activity.  You can also see that I've made a nice mess with my potting mix.  I'm not a very tidy gardener.  Now all I've got to do is a) purchase some gardening gloves or b) cut my fingernails.  Long fingernails are a pain in the ass to clean when you've been scrambling around in the dirt.  Worth it though.  I'm so proud of my little garden.  


3 comments:

  1. I'm not really sure you should be let loose with a screwdriver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tip 1. Heat screwdriver over gas flame and poke through plastic bucket.

    Tip 2. Before gardening, scrape your nails across a bar of soap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really sure you should be let loose with a red hot screwdriver...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...