Pages

01 March 2011

Trumpeting Camels and Stalking Peacocks


Henry the koala - he smells like lemons!

 Today, the three of us (Mystical Roo was at work) took a trip to Nowra Wildlife Park and I'm pleased to report that I successfully drove us there - and back - without getting lost once and without satnav.  I was so proud.  I was excited to show El Kenco and Biltong Boy the beautiful park and it's collection of Aussie animals.  We had a good day for it with the weather behaving itself and cunningly selected a midweek visit for maximum avoidance of children.  We met Henry the koala (pictured) who we were able to stroke and smell.  Yes, he smells like lemons.  El Kenco and Biltong Boy had their photo taken with Henry and then El Kenco and I had our photo taken with a massive python.  Very cool.  Even if he was trying to escape!  We fed the roos, started a chorus of howling amongst the dingoes and made a camel trumpet.  Truly hilarious.  We met some very excited goats who were overly pleased to see us and when I mentioned looking at the emus, heard a goat actually say - in a goat voice of course - nooooooo.  Oh, how we laughed.  There were wombats and crocodiles (not in the same enclosure), a tortoise who was rolling in poo, lizards, chooks and monkeys.  I managed to persuade El Kenco and Biltong Boy to take a ride on the slippery dip - that'll be a slide for most of us - we effectively avoided the Americans (no offense) and enjoyed the beautiful location.  El Kenco had a stalker.  In the form of a peacock (also pictured).  Everywhere we looked the peacock was lurking.  I'm pretty sure he followed us around the whole park.  I think he could smell the roo feed.  El Kenco was sure to hide behind me.  I am the "big" sister after all.  Even if she is like a whole foot taller than me.  The peacock was not to be deterred and kept turning up, peeking around a tree, sneaking up the track, pretending to be a roo.  Damned crazy, attention seeking peacock.  I took his picture to try and make him feel better.  I can't be sure that he didn't sneak into the car for the ride back.  For all I know he might be in the back seat as we speak.  Or sneaking up the stairs...But stalking birds aside, we all had a good time.  Now we just need to see a koala in the wild and we'll all be happy.  I won't hold my breath. 
Peacock - He's a stalker!

2 comments:

  1. At our first French home we had a peacock and hen. They seemed to confuse our terrace for their loo. One day they just flew off (or were eaten by foxes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog title would make a good title for a novel.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...