Pages

15 June 2011

The Basil Saga Continues


I apologise for the poor quality of these
photos.  I have to use my Blackberry and
I really don't have the most steady hand
 Today I woke up and discovered that my basil plant has pretty much snuffed it.  I looked out onto my balcony and to my horror the basil plant's leaves had wilted, gone black or fallen off.  All I can say is what the hell?  What the heckity hell?  I literally posted a photograph yesterday that showed the basil in relatively good health.  My God, did I jinx it or something?  I think I must have done.  I've been bringing him indoors of a night when the temperatures get too chilly but things have been ok recently.  We had a lot of wind and rain last night but no more than the past few nights.  What could possibly have changed to have caused the basil plant to give in like this.  Will the Pigeon hasn't been about recently so I can hardly blame him and the land dwelling shark isn't known to venture out in stormy weather.  I just can't get my head around it.  And I'm devastated.  Ridiculously so actually.  I feel like I've failed my plant.  All the others have been ok.  The tomato plants looked like they might snuff it at one point but I brought them back from the brink.  And thinking of the tomato plants I think it's just dawned on me what the problem is.  It was the composting.  It was yesterday, when I took my dead plants and chopped them into tiny pieces.  I've traumatised my basil plant!  It obviously saw what happened to its plant friends and couldn't take the stress.  Oh what have I done!  Who knew that basil was such a nervous character.  Well I still haven't given in and accepted that the plant is actually dead.  This is because of the new shoots and leaves I can see at the bottom of the plant.  I've brought him inside again and think I may well just leave him inside to see what happens next.  He's obviously not coping well on the balcony.  I'll monitor the situation and let you know how he goes.  Wish me luck...

2 comments:

  1. Basil is VERY delicate. Best kept indoors! RIP Basil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardening can be very traumatic. Are you sure you're strong enough to deal with the heartbreak? Poor Big Basil.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...