Pages

01 June 2011

Mushroom Sneak Attack

Mystical Roo and I have been trying to use as much as we can from the cupboards to make dinner without having to do a food shop.  We're trying to reduce waste and save money.  And most of the time we can scrape together a fairly decent, if slightly random, concoction.  Over the weekend Mystical Roo was putting together a rather excellent lunch of sausage, bacon and egg in a sandwich.  Whilst Mystical Roo was working his magic I was hovering around the kitchen and wittering on whilst trying to house some carrots.  We've been having trouble with the carrots lately.  They keep getting floppy before we have chance to use them and I was contemplating the storage of said carrots.  I'd decided to give them a go in the cupboard rather than the fridge and see if this helped the situation.  Whilst in the cupboard I realised we had a bag of mushrooms that hadn't been used and had the idea of whipping up a risotto.  I thought I'd whip those mushrooms out of there, put them aside and give the carrots a new home.  Big mistake.  As soon as I grabbed that bag I knew I'd made a mistake.  Not only because of the almighty pong that came wafting towards me but the liquid that came bursting out of the mushroom bag.  Mushrooms gone wrong.  Mushrooms gone bad.  Mushrooms gone off.  Good God how long had they been in there for!  Not that long I'm sure but they - or rather I - had made a huge mess.  Mushroom juice everywhere.  In the tray, in the cupboard, on the floor and dripping through my fingers as I held the bag in disgust.  Rogue mushrooms straight into the bin.  Smell lingering.  The smell was just horrible.  Horrible.  The tray came out and was straight in the sink.  I was in the cupboard with kitchen roll and then I was on the floor with kitchen roll and still the smell wouldn't go away.  Evil mushroom activity.  Evil!  I have since given the cupboard a proper wipe down and mopped the floor but I'm pretty sure I can still smell a rogue mushroom.  They're haunting me!  

2 comments:

  1. Yuk! Reminds me of someone's homemade nettle insecticide. Phew, what a pong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and what happened to the carrots?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...