Pages

30 June 2011

Little Stalky Gets Things Stuck in the Car Door

In another walking-home-from-work adventure, I yesterday got rescued from the rain by a colleague who was out and about in her car.  This happens on a fairly regular basis and I've received lifts from a number of different people when travelling both to and from work.  I would like to state that I have never accepted a lift from a stranger.  Yesterday was a bit of a miserable day and though not really cold it was dark and drizzly.  I was actually offered a lift home on the back of a motorbike - with helmet and everything - but I could picture Bear Z in my mind going no, don't do it.  Don't you dare get on the back of that bike.  So I didn't.  I'd gotten about halfway home, listening to Dr Kermode on my i-pod, when I heard a toot.  Or the car variety.  You have to be wary when approaching tooters as although often it is a work colleague stopping to offer a lift, it can sometimes be a random man who thinks tooting is appropriate.  Never approach the random man.  Just frown upon them until they go away.  In this case it was in fact a colleague who came to rescue me from the drizzle.  Now it's always a bit of a kerfuffle getting into a vehicle when you're kitted out in walking gear.  Especially when you add a brolly into the mix.  I have to unclip my rucksack and remove it from my shoulders, pull out my head phones - so as not to be impolite - stow the i-pod in my pocket and put the brolly under my arm.  Not as easy as it sounds.  Especially when you're as clumsy as I am.  I tend to rush myself too and do things too quickly.  Yesterday I managed two things.  One:  I trapped one headphone from the i-pod  in the door of the car.  Two:  I trapped a handful of hair in the door of the car. Fantastic.  And you'd think I'd just quickly open and shut the door and fix this situation but I didn't actually realise the situation until the situation was underway and the car was in motion.  I realised my error when I went to tuck away the i-pod but the headphone refused to budge.  I realised my second error when I tried to turn my head and felt a tug at my hair.  I cringed.  A bit of hair and a bit of headphone were hanging out the passenger side door.  Bouncing along in the wind.  Enjoying a fair smattering of rain.  Probably looking stupid.  And I guess a sensible person would have mentioned this.  Asked the driver if they wouldn't mind stopping so that the situation could be attended to.  But I just felt really stupid.  And I decided that I would feel even stupider if I actually had to admit my stupidity.  Which is stupid in itself because it was less stupidity and more clumsiness that caused the stupid situation.  Instead I decided to hold my ground.  We were less than a minute from home so I could hold out.  I just hoped that my colleague hadn't noticed the bit of hair or the bit of headphone that was stuck in the door.  I had to keep very still and prepare myself for the bends.  Move with the car, not away from it.  Otherwise things were likely to get painful.  I'm sure I didn't look that stupid.  I should have made mention of my neck, which is actually much better now but would have made for a great excuse with regards to sitting very still.  When the car pulled up outside my house I opened the door at lighting speed just to try and disguise my error.  I hope I didn't look rude or like I was trying to escape.  I said thank you, gathered my things and then scurried away to the safety of the flat.  I don't think too much damage has been done.  The headphone was intact.  My hair was intact.  It's just my dignity that's taken a bit of a bashing.  But what's new.  

3 comments:

  1. And you considered for a moment getting on the back of a motor bike? Although, on the other hand it might have been simpler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, you can't be my daughter. You must be an imposter! What have you done with the refined child I brought up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least the bike has no doors to get stuff stuck in. Of course there ARE the wheels!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...