Pages

08 June 2011

Little Stalky and Mystical Roo Go to Melbourne

This morning I was up at the ungodly hour of 04.30 so that I could accompany Mystical Roo on a trip to Melbourne.  So, exciting news people.  Today's blog post is coming to you directly from Melbourne.  Whoop whoop!  We've driven down from New South Wales and arrived at about 15.00.  A long trip indeed.  And to be honest there's not a whole lot to see.  It's very pretty of course; lots of trees and hills and what not but that scenery doesn't change.  At all.  Luckily for Mystical Roo he had me for company and although I did nod off a couple of times I tried to remain awake for most of the journey.  It was freezing first thing this morning so it was no wonder one of the first things I saw was a massive huntsman spider.  Huge beast of a thing it was.  And obviously seeking refuge from the cold.  It was climbing up the drivers side window and I noticed it as Mystical Roo got out to get petrol.  I'm not scared of spiders as such but I did manage to point, scream and then laugh at myself for being totally stupid.  We hit the road for an hour or so before stopping for breakfast once the sun came up.  Then it was back on the road and we were eating sweets and drinking energy drinks before 07.30.  Wrong on a number of levels but by that point it felt like we'd been up for ages.  We were on the crisps before 10.00.  No wonder we skipped lunch.  We were stuffed on junk food.  But that's part of the fun of a road trip.  That and some music, some pod casts and a little bit of conversation.  Not too much though or you'll drive each other batty.  Mystical Roo did all of the driving with the ute in cruise control pretty much the whole way.  I was on wildlife spotting duty.  At one point I was pretty sure I'd spotted a gang of kangaroos but these actually turned out to be sheep.  Most disappointing.  But I did spot one kangaroo and of that I was sure.  I know they're out there but hiding in tall yellow grass they're pretty hard to spot.  As are the koalas. I didn't see a single koala.  Instead, counting the gang of sheep and the lone kangaroo I also saw many cows, many cockatoos, many horses and what may or may not have been an alpaca.  Or possibly a llama.  I can't be sure.  There's not a whole lot to see out on the road and there were times when we were the only car in sight.  We barely came across a town.  The town we did come across had a random submarine parked in the middle and for such a small and rustic looking place had four museums.  Four museums?  That's just going over the top if you ask me.  And what's with the submarine?  Who knows.  I thought it best not to ask.  Didn't want to offend any locals.  So we've had a fairly long day and no doubt we'll be ready for bed at an early hour.  I'm currently writing this from our hotel room and have now decided that I might be ready for a feed.  Time to round up the troops - or troop - and see what Melbourne has to offer in the way of dinner.  So, for the next three days or so it will be Little Stalky adventures from Melbourne.  And as Mystical Roo will be working I'll be out there unsupervised... 

4 comments:

  1. Did you meet a guy called Noah, in the town where you saw the sub'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Stalky unsupervised in Melbourne - oh no!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post...Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...