Pages

28 June 2011

Facebook Addict

I remember being a bit slow on the Facebook front and taking a while to actually start up a page.  I used it a bit in England but would normally only check it once a day.  However now that I live in Australia I can confirm that I'm an official addict.  My name is Little Stalky and I have a problem.  I'm addicted to Facebook.  But I'm not the only one.  I got thinking about this because Monster Noggin confessed that she too is a Facebook addict.  And I'm sure there's plenty more out there.  I see there are two mitigating factors.  One:  I moved to Australia.  Two:  I now have access to Facebook via my phone.  I think that Facebook might seem a bit pointless to some people but I now find it a really useful tool for keeping in touch with people who live half way round the world from me.  I can see photos and find out what people are up to.  I can stay in contact with just a few words here and there.  It's a quick and easy way that allows me to feel somewhat more connected with the rest of the world.  That, I think, is a good thing.  Having Facebook on my phone is pretty much a bad thing.  Because I can't stop checking it.  I check Facebook on my phone a ridiculous number of times in the day.  Sometimes I think I do it without even thinking.  It's the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do before I go to sleep at night.  If I've got a spare five minutes I'll quickly check my Facebook.  If the adverts come on - and there are a lot of adverts in this country - then I'll check my Facebook.  If I'm waiting for a lift then I'll check my Facebook.  When I go to lunch, have a tea break, finish work...I'll check my Facebook.  When I've just finished on my computer, where I've just been on my Facebook, I'll shut down my computer and then...CHECK MY FACEBOOK!  It's utter madness.  I'm checking it every five minutes.  And what for?  What for?  The most stupid thing is that the majority of people I'm friends with on Facebook live in England.  And they're asleep.  So they're not updating Facebook.  So I'm checking Facebook just to learn that nothing has changed.  Because everyone is asleep.  Sometimes I actually stop and tell myself I'm being stupid.  Other times I just go ahead and do it without even realising I'm doing it.  It's habit.  And I don't know why I have this need.  Am I scared I'll miss out on some important news?  Could something wonderful have happened in the five minutes since I last checked?  I got scolded by Mystical Roo the other day for checking my Facebook during a film.  What the hell?  I wasn't even thinking.  I just did it.  And it's all because it's on my phone.  If it wasn't on my phone then I wouldn't be on it half as much.  And I know what you're thinking.  Little Stalky, remove that app.  But I can't.  Because I like it. I like being in Sydney and being able to post a picture then and there for friends and family to see.  When they wake up.  But still.  There's something nice about being able to just post an update whilst you're in the moment.  I think I just need to curb the constant checking.  Maybe hide my phone.  Or attach a post it note with a reminder that nothing new is likely to have happened in the last five minutes.  And on that note...I'm off to check my emails.  

6 comments:

  1. I know people who are constantly adding 'friends', but NEVER use the facility. On my own page I have about 35 friends who really are FRIENDS. I use it as another form of Email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes. Sometimes it's necessary to have a Facebook cull...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh - this new look is a bit jazzy. Bit of a shock first thing in the morning. (The comment font is hard to read.) I confess, I'm a FB addict. And I agree with Cro, don't do 'friend' unless you're going to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in a jazzy mood today. Every now and then feel the need to revamp the page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO Stalky. Bad Stalky. Stop Stalky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What have you done to the page! Not a good look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...