Pages

11 June 2011

The Fire Pit

After achieving both of my objectives for yesterday I decided to return to familiar territory and scouted my way back towards Federation Square.  Writing had been done and a Krispy Kreme doughnut had been purchased, consumed and judged.  I'm not that fussed about Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  It wasn't bad but I've had much, much better.  But doughnuts are beside the point.  There was more musical entertainment at the square but this time I selected a spot somewhat further back, near a random fire pit.  I couldn't see much but I could hear things absolutely fine and this time I was able to keep warm.  What is a random fire pit doing in the middle of Melbourne?  I have no idea.  I think it's part of some sort of installation.  Trying to be artistic and what not.  I don't know about art but it was functional and there was something nice about this rustic thing in the middle of a modern city.  Maybe that's the point.  But of course you can't have a fire pit in the middle of the city without security.  Oh no.  Not today.  Someone might hurt themselves.  Some poor child might fling themselves into the flames - though you can probably see from my photo that it's more glowing embers than actual fire - , someone might trip over.  Basically we have to guard against humans doing stupid things.  Because no one can look after themselves anymore.  I think the only thing I'd be worried about is the flames spreading.  If someone is stupid enough to go poking around in the fire then that's their beef.  Any hoo, this fire pit had no less than three men guarding it.  Three of them!  They were circling it and everything.  They had fluorescent jackets.  Now there's something about the wearing of fluorescent jackets that goes to some people's heads.  Gives them a feeling a power when actually they're just guarding a fire pit.  Or holding a stop / go sign.  Now there are a lot of important people who wear fluorescent jackets.  And they can accept the fluorescent jacket wearing power.  But there are some less important folk, still important but not as important (don't want to offend anyone here), who just get a bit carried away.  It's all well and good to be guarding the fire, chucking on the occasional log, but there's no need to circle the damned thing.  Or eyeball anyone who gets close to it.  Or shout at a child who poked the sand.  I'm pretty sure the fluorescent jacket wearing fire pit guards wanted to take out the seagulls that were landing on the sand.  They were fire crazy.  It made me want to rebel and run in and poke a log.  Then the music started up again and it made me want to dance around the fire.  Then I figured maybe the smoke was getting to me and I was imagining everything.  I left and went in search of food.  I was there for a while though because now I smell like bonfire. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you managed to stay warm. We had to resort to a few flaming logs here today to try and dry our soggy house out. No men in fluorescent jackets though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just imagine if those men in fluorescent jackets also carried clip boards... There'd be no end to their power.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...