Pages

03 June 2011

Little Stalky: Umbrella Master

In recent wet weather I found that I was arguing with myself over whether or not to use my umbrella. I can't say whether or not this is normal behaviour but that's besides the point. My dilemma? Walking home from work rather than to work I'm not actually that fussed about getting wet. It doesn't really matter if I get home and look like a drowned rat. Some might argue that it's fashion forward. Some. So walking home from work is all about purpose. It's about getting home as quickly as possible whilst getting a little exercise on the way. Therefore, with rucksack on back and earphones in place I tend to find using an umbrella somewhat of a hindrance. A bit of light rain wasn't bothering me but my hair was protesting and had started to go all fluffy. I finally whipped out the brolly when I realised I was unable to dodge the heavy drops that were falling from overheard branches. And believe me I did try to dodge them. I tried to dodge them for a while before I realised that a) it wasn't really possible, I'm not that little after all and b) I looked like a fruit loop. The heavy droplets were annoying me more than anything and kept landing on my face. They have good aim and got me in the eye more than once. So out came the brolly. But then I'm out from under the trees, the rain has stopped and now I look like I'm not paying attention to the weather. Using a brolly unnecessarily. Tempting the skies. So I put the brolly away. But literally as soon as I did that there was another downpour. So the brolly came out again. Then it stopped. So the brolly went away again. Then I came up against more branches and their droplets of doom. Out comes the brolly. Then I was back in the open and away from the branches. Brolly goes away. I think I got extra exercise from just putting the brolly away and then getting it back out again. I'd actually started to see how quickly I could do it. And couldn't help wonder whether a brolly could be used as a deadly weapon. I think it could. I was caught off guard when I was on the home straight as a load of sideswiping rain decided to make an appearance. In fact it wasn't sideswiping rain at all but sea spray that was whipping around on a rather over enthusiastic gust of wind. You have to be on guard see because it's not just the rain that will get you. It's the bloody trees and the sea too. I guess I wasn't too happy about getting wet after all, or I wouldn't have gone to so much trouble with the brolly. But one has to perfect her brolly extracting skills. You never know when they might come in handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...