Pages

02 June 2011

Guilty Pleasures

I think that everyone must have a guilty pleasure.  It's just that some of us admit to it and others don't.  I don't know what makes a pleasure guilty.  You just know that it is when you're embarrassed to admit your habit or know that people will laugh at you, judge you or shun you.  I have several guilty pleasures and one of those is reading trashy gossip magazines.  I can feel you judging already.  I don't know what it is about trashy gossip magazines that I love so much but if I'm feeling in a lazy mood I like nothing better than wallowing in the bath, supping a glass of wine and reading about what's going on in the land of showbiz.  Maybe I like the fact that I don't have to concentrate.  I can skim through stories and look at pretty dresses.  I can read about other people's lives and realise that maybe I'm not that crazy.  I don't know what it is.  But I know why I feel guilty about this pleasure.  I'm paying money to a magazine that on one page will be outraged at some celebrity's weight loss while on the next page they'll be pointing fun at someones muffin top, whilst on the next page they'll be celebrating women comfortable in their own bodies when on the next page they'll be explaining the latest diet to help you lose weight in 24 hours.  I'll read ridiculous stories that I know can't be true and wonder who these "friends" are that are always on hand to dish the dirt on their best buds.  I know all of this and still I read them.  Still I enjoy them.  Maybe it's because I don't take it too seriously.  I'm not interested in who weights what and I don't believe everything I read.  It's just my way of switching off once in a while.  I think I'll continue to enjoy this guilty pleasure of mine even if I'm not altogether proud of it. 

2 comments:

  1. Just looking at the illustration, I see it's all about Justin and Mila, Rihanna and Chris, Katy, and Kim. Who the hell ARE these people? Are they important?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm far too much of a snob to buy these trashy magazines. I just pour over them when I'm in the dentist waiting room, or snaffle them from my daughters! Seriously though, sometimes you just need to get away from the heavy stuff. I love watching drama and documentaries on TV, but sometimes I just love to relax and watch soap. It lowers my blood pressure and yes, usually sends me to sleep. Don't feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...