Pages

20 June 2011

A Little Stalky Composting Adventure


Inside Little Stalky's Compost Bin

I am pleased to announce that my compost heap is officially growing.  This morning I have been actively composting and have enclosed some photos of my efforts.  Mystical Roo snaffled me a bucket and we've been using this bucket to collect kitchen waste to add to the compost bin.  The bucket lives under the sink, has a lid and is emptied - or is going to be emptied - on a regular basis.  Today I have added my first bucket of kitchen waste into the mix.  Exciting stuff.  Tea bags, fruit, peelings and even some more of those damned pesky oats (where do they keep coming from!)  I am aware that I need to maintain a balance of "green" and "brown" material in my compost heap.  I can obviously contribute plenty of kitchen waste but unless I want to go on some sort of plant massacre - I don't! - I don't have much in the way of garden waste.  I don't have any grass.  I don't have a garden.  So I figured I would snaffle myself some grass.  And where better to snaffle some grass than the massive holiday park that has like 35 acres of the stuff.  I politely asked one of the ground staff if they wouldn't mind gathering me a bag of grass.  If it wasn't too much trouble.  It turns out it's very easy to get a bag of grass when there is so much of it laying around.  In a matter of minutes I had acquired a huge bin bag full of grass.  And I was chuffed.  Then I had to explain that I was composting, which in turn explained my need for the grass.  I've added two bucketfuls of grass to the mix and still have loads left, which is now living in the laundry room.  I think that grass will last me a while, but at least I know I've got grass on tap if I need it.  You may also notice that I've attached a photograph of my hand - yes that's me - holding a garden tool of some description.  I have no idea what this thing is called but it serves the purpose of stirring up the compost.  I like to think of it as my compost twirling stick type thing.  It gets the job done.  So this morning I've added a bucket of kitchen waste, two buckets of grass and have stirred the whole thing up.  I'm far too excited about this and have to stop myself from going to check the compost every half hour.  You know, just to see if anything has changed.  But I'm really enjoying my composting experience.  And I think Mystical Roo likes our attempt at some green living.  I will keep you all posted on the compost and it's progress.  It's a Little Stalky composting adventure! 

A Bucket Full of Kitchen Waste - Nice!
A Compost Twirling Tool

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...